Baby Be-bop And The Badassed Bigots II: A Tale Of Two "Christians" and The Hate Group That Isn't There
From Manta (listing of small businesses) Business Information: This company profile is for the private company American Christian Civil Liberties Union , located in Olathe, KS. American Christian Civil Liberties Union's line of business is individual/family services.
Company Name: American Christian Civil Liberties Union
Address: 915 S Parker St, Olathe, KS 66061-4262
Location Type: Single Location Est.
Annual Sales: $51,000 Est.
# of Employees: 2 Est.
Empl. at Loc.: 2
Year Started: 2005
Contact's Name: West Yourk
Contact's Title: Director
NAICS: Other Individual and Family Services
Then I came upon an article in Galley Cat:
And I found this bit in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel:
A West Bend reader writes: "First, the CCLU, may be 'local' from a national perspective, but actually is based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and consists of four right-wing, fundamentalist Christians who claim they were personally harmed because a copy of 'Baby Be-Bop' is in the West Bend library, 35 miles northwest of Milwaukee.
"Second, the petitions mentioned in the article involved an entirely separate issue being debated in West Bend that the CCLU used to piggyback their likely frivolous lawsuit to draw attention to themselves.
In an interview yesterday, West Bend Library Director Michael Tyree said that of the four men who have filed the lawsuit, only one of them lives in West Bend - and that man doesn't have a library card on file.
According to his bio:
Mark is one of the best known local talk show hosts in America. He has been a guest host on America’s most listened to radio program, The Rush Limbaugh Show.
From The Advocate:
WTF!??! People who would vote against hate crimes legislation want libraries that make available books criticizing Christians to be prosecuted for hate crimes!The plaintiffs want a grand jury to determine whether the book should be declared obscene and whether making it available is a hate crime.
A group calling themselves West Bend Citizens for Safe Libraries, associated with a national fundamentalist Christian, anti-gay movement called Safe Libraries, wants books containing sexual references moved from the young adult section to the adult section and labels sexually explicit material. They also want more restrictions on the library's access to the Internet, and a link to a list of gay-themed books removed from the Library's Website.
So there you have the whole mind-boggling mess (with particularly stupid points in red):
- Two concerned right-wing parents attempt to ban or relocate gay young-adult novels at their local library.
- The library refuses to ban or relocate any books.
- The parents pick out one novel which has been out of print for over ten years.
- The commotion catches the attention of a nebulous right-wing group called Christian Civil Liberties Union. The CCLU starts a lawsuit against the library. Coincidentally, the CCLU seems to be made up of the plaintiffs in the suit. The suit demands $120,000 for "compensatory damages" focusing on "emotional" and "mental" distress brought about by the mere presence of the book in the library. Only one of the plaintiffs lives in West Bend, WI. And he does NOT have a library card.
- Local support for the parents and the CCLU is garnered through a right-wing radio talk show host.
- Further commotion ensues when the CCLU announces that the suit will also specify that the presence of the book constitutes a hate crime.
- The backlash spawns: a parent's free speech group; support for the library, especially from the American Library Association; notoriety on internet blogs and some mainstream media; the book's award-winning being slated to write the book's screenplay for MTV.
Just how stupid can Christofascists get?
Just a thought.