This election, the economy trumped God. The percentages of Catholics, Protestants, born-again Evangelicals as voters were further up in the Obama campaign than in 2000 or 2004. Yes, only 26% of evangelicals voted for Obama, but that was up 5 points from 2004. And the Democratic figures for Catholics went up 7 points since 2000. So while Tony Perkins is crowing about keeping matrimony "holy" in California, he won't talk about the "abortionist and socialist menace" until he needs money. Which will be too soon for his donor base. They'll be all too worried about what the recession will bring next.
Now take a good look at the numbers and ask yourselves: how many of the McCain voters could be Christofasists?
Now let's look at the religious makeup of the ENTIRE Electorate:
Even if you're totally conservative in your figures, you could come up with a good 15 million people who:
- Believe the Bible is the inerrant Word of God
- Believe that God has the human traits of jealousy, vengeance, hatred and cruelty
- Believe that the world is only 6,000 years old
- Believe that some of the sins listed in the Bible are punishable by death
- Believe that there will be a Rapture and that the End Times will be coming soon
- Believe that EVERYONE needs to be "born-again" to go to Heaven
- Believe that Muslims, Buddhists, Jews, Hindus, Taoists, and many others have false religions and therefore are unsaved (and unworthy to be saved).
- Believe that there is only ONE TRUE RELIGION - theirs
In Dobson's/Benedict's world:
- Homosexuals are scapegoats
- Religion and government MUST be intertwined
- Intellectuals are distrusted
Just a thought.